Thursday, November 10, 2011

A spread trade that did not turn in my favor in the end

After carefully analysing both the crude oil and euro markets early in the morning (at least I thought I had done a good job at that point), I decided today to enter into a spread trade where I was long euro and short crude. I rarely take those kind of positions because I find the timing of the entry to be a delicate operation of "guessing". But from my earlier analysis things looked particularly good today for a spread trade. At the beginning of the position being put on, everything seemed to work just as planned. But it did not stay like that passed the first hour. The problem was mainly due to crude which keeps trending up on vapor thin volume these days. Probably because of the Iran-Israel potential conflict, but who knows really? Anyway, I had to close my spread trade at a loss towards the end of the day cause I didn't feel like carrying it overnight. Thanks God I had other winning trades to compensate and I ended up my day in the green. Net result for today: +$288 trading 1 contract (commissions included). Details below.

No comments:

Post a Comment